table tennis update




As I mentioned in my previous blog post from a few months ago, I've been taking table tennis seriously and trying to reach a rating of 2000.

As of this writing, I've been playing seriously for about 8 months (since 10/2018), and you can see my progress below.


month endclub 1club 2club 3USATTrating (avg)
10/1/2017670850760
11/8/2017900900
12/3/201710591059
1/17/201810581058
2/18/201811281128
3/21/2018123112501241
5/9/2018130412801292
5/10/20181296
6/1/201813991446148014461444


I have been making steady progress and improved my rating from 800 to ~1450 in 8 months, which is pretty good by most standards.  I played my first USATT tournament in Sacremento back in May.  I did pretty well, including upsetting a 1600 rated player, and achieved a USATT rating of 1446.

Some observations:

There are some key skills that I had to learn at each level / rating tier in order to reach the next.  I will try to summarize them below.

800 - 1000:
  • starting to learn how to loop a heavy under spin ball
  • learning how to not get nervous during matches

1000 - 1250:
  • learning how to play again choppers, understanding how short pips and long pips work
  • pushing myself to be more aggressive on certain shots
  • starting to develop a more consistent backhand, fixed my improper backhand technique/grip
  • starting to pay attention to footwork
  • starting to develop a repertoire of different serves

1250- 1500:
  • developing a strong forehand loop
  • continuing to improve backhand consistency, learning to attack with the backhand
  • learning to psyche the opponent with tricky serves
  • continuing to push myself to be more aggresive
  • focusing more on my mental game, trying to maintain a neutral mindset throughout the match

Going forward...

As I continue to improve, there will be new things that I need to focus on.  I have been observing players better than me and analyzing their play.  These are the things which I think I should focus on next.
  • strong consistent backhand loop / general backhand consistency
  • learning to attack with the backhand 
  • learn to return heavy topspin balls (angle the paddle downward...)
  • getting really efficient footwork
  • tactics / ball placement

That's it for now.  Thanks for reading!  Please comment if you have any questions or suggestions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

my first drone montage video, my travels in 2017 and 2018

reaching 2000 in table tennis